On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> At this level, you're basically screwed.  A sofware checksum isn't
> even an option on other PCI users, like disk controllers.  If you
> don't trust your PCI chipset, what do you do about things like that?
>
> I'm rather curious -- what was the problematic hardware combination?

Can't say yet :-(

But it is one of the fancy network interfaces that essentially runs an
RTOS on the NIC so it can "help you". Actually fancy $5000 network
interfaces are in general less reliable than your average garden-variety
$2 IDE chip. Partly because they have so much capability.

So we don't worry a lot about lossage with IDE. But it's a big problem on
expensive, high end, high performance network interfaces.

ron