In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Makoto Matsushita writes:
>I really know I'm doing a stupid thing, but here is benchmark results
>of both "plain" and "patched" 5-current (as of Nov/26/2001).  Patched
>FreeBSD is about 10% faster than before.

... but only if you spend most of your time running CPU benchmarks :-)
Your results show a 50-100% speed increase for operations requiring
a lot of kernel activity. Remember also that interrupts etc. cause
a background rate of cmpxchg instructions that is quite high. On
slower CPUs (I was using a 400MHz PII), the interrupts can soak up
virtually all of the available processing capacity without the
patch. I suspect this effect is responsible for the most dramatic
speedups.

Ian