Sorry for replying to myself, but this just came to my
mind ...

Oliver Fromme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >  > What I usually want to do is something more like ls *.out |wc -l
 >
 > ls | grep '\.out$' | wc -l

A smaller solution would be:
echo *.out | wc -w

Note that the ARG_MAX limitation does not apply to echo,
because it is a shell-builtin.

Similarly:

 >  > or grep something *.data
 >
 > ls | grep '\.data$' | xargs grep something

echo *.data | xargs grep something

 >  > or cat *.foo | grep something.
 >
 > ls | grep '\.foo$' | xargs cat | grep something

echo *.foo | xargs cat | grep something

(Yes, I know, useless cat.  The same can probably
achieved like this:
echo *.foo | xargs grep -h something
)

Regards