:
:Julian Elischer wrote:
:> You can mmap() devices  and you can mmap files..
:>
:> you cannot mmap FIFOs or sockets.
:>
:> for this reason I think that devices are still well represented by
:> vnodes. If we merged vnodes and vm objects,
:> then if devices were not vnodes, how would you represent
:> a vm area that maps a device?
:
:Merging vnodes and vm objects is an incredibly bad idea.  There
:is a lot of other work that should be done before that can even
:be considered, and then it shouldn't be considered.
:
:In othe words, it's a good excuse for getting some needed
:changes in, but it's not a good idea.
:
:I know you and Kirk love the idea, but, truly, it is a bad
:idea.

    I like the idea too, but every time I've looked at it it's been
    a huge mess.  In short, I don't think we will *ever* be able to merge
    vnodes and VM objects.

                                                -Matt