On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:03:32 -0800 "Crist J. Clark"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The build procedure should be done as usual --
> > # make (env variables if not given in /etc/make.conf) -j4 buildworld
> > # make KERNCONF=FreeBEER KERNCONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/conf -j4
> > buildkernel# make KERNCONF=FreeBEER KERNCONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/conf
> > installkernel and so on...
>
> No, I was confused. I thought we were discussing how to do an "old
> fashioned" kernel build in a read-only /usr/src/sys.

thanks for your replies ;]
actually the main problem was make needing MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set as env var. perhaps
there is a way to specify something like WRKDIRPREFIX (ports') for bsd.obj.mk.
after setting MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to the right path and really cleaning /usr/src i was
able to build world + kernel on a readonly /usr/src. though i needed to do
env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/i386/k7 make buildworld -j4
.... builds bootstrap tools, somewhere bails out on a rm i think.
env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/i386/k7 make buildworld -j4 -DNOCLEAN
.... then works as desired.
env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/i386/k7 make buildkernel -j4
.... works right out-of-the-box.

cheerz
  corecode

--