> > > sendfile() isn't zero-copy, it's just two-less-copies.
> > zero-copy means "zero copy-operations within memory"
>
> To an MCSE, maybe.

strange ...

It's interesting that Dr. Scient Paal Halvorsen that recently finished his
thesis about the subject 'Memory buffering / caching in multimedia
streaming systems'. This has the following description

The INSTANCE operating system enhancements show great improvements for
multimedia streaming. In this thesis, we want to look at
buffering/caching/prefetching mechanisms suitable for multimedia streams
combined with the INSTANCE zero-copy data path.

See http://www.ifi.uio.no/~paalh/index2.html for more info

hm

Am I an idiot here or have someone else misunderstood?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.