I start some performance tests on -stable and on SuSE 7.1 / 2.4.17. I
don't comment about 'bzero' performance, but when RAM is over, Linux
is much faster. I have no idea what is the algorithm of swapping but it seems that the
granularity of swapping pieces is the key or the importance of swapping memory blocks
of certain task. Ooo I forgot to say that the both machines have the same hardware,
IBM 300PL, 256 RAM and no other tasks running. I had to run these tests to choose the
fastest platform for building our software indexes, which requires a lot of math and
memory operations.

--- with bzero ---
Linux$ time ./malloc_test
*#