On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Dimitar Peikov wrote:

> I start some performance tests on -stable and on SuSE 7.1 / 2.4.17. I
> don't comment about 'bzero' performance, but when RAM is over, Linux
> is much faster. I have no idea what is the algorithm of swapping but it seems that
>the granularity of swapping pieces is the key or the importance of swapping memory
>blocks of certain task. Ooo I forgot to say that the both machines have the same
>hardware, IBM 300PL, 256 RAM and no other tasks running. I had to run these tests to
>choose the fastest platform for building our software indexes, which requires a lot
>of math and memory operations.
>
> --- with bzero ---
> Linux$ time ./malloc_test
> *#
> real    0m37.640s
> user    0m1.370s
> sys     0m2.950s
> Linux$
>
> FreeBSD$ time ./malloc_test
> *#
> real    0m46.640s
> user    0m2.280s
> sys     0m2.550s
> FreeBSD$
>
> --- without bzero ---
> Linux$ time ./malloc_test
> *#
> real    0m6.371s
> user    0m0.450s
> sys     0m1.510s
> Linux$
>
> FreeBSD$ time ./malloc_test
> *#
> real    0m11.571s
> user    0m1.150s
> sys     0m1.830s
> FreeBSD$

Just to make sure: What about disk layout and paging space location? Both
systems will behave best when paging space location is near to the
"beginning" of the disks.

My measurements in this area are some years old; at that time FreeBSD did
a much better job when klow on free memory.

Best regards
Konrad

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH GÖttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Faßberg, D-37077 GÖttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.org
Deutschland (Germany)