On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 09:05:28PM +0100, BOUWSMA Beery wrote:

> I built both a WITNESS and a WITNESSless kernel with more recent
> k0deZ, and in the case of playing an mp3 file with `mpg123', I
> saw practically no difference between the two, based on %cpu as
> shown by `top' (like I say, completely unscientific and inaccurate)

As you are no doubt aware there are significant infrastructural
changes in -current relating to SMP scalability.  It's in a very
interim state at the moment, and one of the downsides is increased
interrupt latency and lock contention for certain operations (yes,
audio playback is one of them).

Basically, it's a known issue.

Kris