In the last episode (Apr 08), Kurt J. Lidl said:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:41:44AM -0700, Michael Smith wrote:
> > You could also use this technique to maliciously exhaust a user's
> > quota, by linking to their temporary files.  I'm not sure what the
> > standards have to say about this, but I don't much like the current
> > behaviour.
>
> The truely paranoid ftruncate the file size to zero if the link count
> is larger than one.

.. or even if isn't, as someone might link it just before you delete
it.  An attacker can still exhaust your inode quota with 0-length
files.

I wonder if there is any reason to allow arbitrary hardlinking; maybe
only allow linking of files you currently have read access to?  Only
files that you own?  Only allow root to hardlink?  How paranoid do you
want to be?  :)  It could always be another sysctl knob.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]