On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Chad David wrote:

> A local company has been having issues with samba for some time (it kills
> an e250, and has seriously stressed an e5000) and I've been telling the
> admin (half seriously) that he should just toss it on a PC with FreeBSD.
> Well they finally got tired of hearing FreeBSD this and FreeBSD that and
> asked me to bring a box in if I was so confident... tomorrow morning at
> 9am.  So, I'm building a new box tonight and was wondering if anybody
> has any tried and true tuning parameters for samba on -stable.  They
> currently have ~700 users attached.  The load per user is pretty low
> but just rebooting and handling the reconnects has killed small boxes.

As others have said, memory is an issue.

In some 'benchmark' testing, I have noticed that FreeBSD holds up pretty
well to large numbers of connects coming in at one time, say compared to
Linux. Starting up 100 clients during about two or three seconds (as long
as it takes to fork 100 processes on the driver) does not kill a FreeBSD
Samba server as much as it does a Linux server running Linux 2.4.x.

Certainly, a 2GB machine that I regularly test against does not notice the
smbds start up all that much.

> As a side note, the data being served will be attached to the samba server
> via NFS.

Hmmm, some of the locking stuff might be an issue then ...

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]