On Monday 26 August 2002 02:51, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:36:15 -0600, John Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > Are there plans to add USB support for HP's newer printers to FreeBSD?
> >
> > Specificially, the OfficeJets and the LaserJet 1200?  They use a
> > new/different/broken USB interface so they're just recognized as ugen
> > devices at the moment..
>
> have a look at hpoj.sourceforge.net
> they plan FreeBSD USB support for a next release

I've been all over the site and read some of the docs.  The most useful
piece of information I found was this:

"FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are not yet supported in USB mode, due to
missing functionality in the kernel "ulpt" driver (bidirectional I/O,
device ID retrieval, switching to 7/1/3, and HP channel-change-request)."

The only FreeBSD information in the TODO section has to do with fixing the
build so it works [better].

I don't get the idea that they are planning to add the missing kernel
functionality themselves; they don't seem to have done any of that for
Linux--they just list using a supported kernel as a requirement for USB.

Since I'm mostly just interested in printing to an LJ 1200, I don't know if
I'd even use the hpoj stuff unless necessary (although it does look
interesting).  I'm just wondering if kernel support for these beasties is
already being worked on, and where I can get more information.

JN