"Brandon D. Valentine" wrote:
[ ... AMD ... ]
> In all seriousness I'm not sure where he got the idea that "these things
> were supposed to be out a while ago" but I don't recall any claims from
> AMD to confirm that.  If anything AMD's development cycle for these
> things makes Intel's development cycle for IA64 downright embarassing.
> The x86-64 silicon will be on the market on schedule and according to
> the benchmarks I've seen will be doubling the IPC of AMD's already
> impressive x86-32 hardware.  Plus, I hear they run cool, which would be
> a pleasant change from the current Athlons and might actually make AMD
> processors a viable option in dense environments.

At one point in time, I was working on a product that really,
really cared about more than 4G of linearlly addressable memory
(i.e. PAE need not apply, since only a moron would implement the
particular product that way, given the overall requirements).

The original claims for the tape-out on the x86-64 from AMD so
that this could happen were September 2001, with sample units
1Q2002.  The AMD schedule slipped.

I realize that schedule slippage is practically the norm, these
days, so nobody questions it any more, but that doesn't make it
any less annoying for people who try to do what they say when
they say.

You'll notice that I *clearly* identified the posting as a rant.
8-).

-- Terry