On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 08:10:19PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > The fix that I've found so far is either to start X with xdm (which
> > doesn't have that default off), to start startx with the -listen_tcp
> > option, or to edit the startx script to remove the -nolisten_tcp arg to
> > the Xserver invocation.
>
> Another option is for FreeBSD to commit a patch to the XFree86 port
> which restores POLA to startx.  In the meantime instead of editing the
> script in your local install you might want to consider adding a shell
> alias which aliases startx to "/usr/X11R6/bin/startx -listen_tcp".

--nolisten-tcp was added deliberately for security reasons: see the
commit logs (it's also documented clearly at the top of the startx
manpage).  It sounds like an oversight that xdm doesn't do this; I've
asked the XFree86 maintainer to investigate and make the corresponding
change if necessary.

Kris