At 15:46 6/03/2003, you wrote:
HI there.
Gotta question.

Someone said that the realtek 8029 and 8139 ethernet cards are the worst
cards ever made. My boss is planning to make a great buy of this cards for a
communication project ( the reasons is obius, the cost of this cards ) I'm
trying to persuade him to by 3com ethernet cards, but I need technical
information to demostrate him  that it's not a good inversion to buy those
kind of cards.

I happen to have a couple of those realtek cards. They're definitely not the BEST every made, but not the worst either. Granted, I've never once reached 100mbits with them (usually around 30-50mbits), but considering how cheap they are they do their job fairly well. If performance isn't an issue then go for it. If it *is* an issue, look for 3Com the likes.
Of course this isn't technical information, it however is first hand information from someone who's been using the cards for several years (me).

- Bram

To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message