David Gilbert wrote:

"Poul-Henning" == Poul-Henning Kamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Poul-Henning> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Poul-Henning> "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" writes:

Poul-Henning> The reason I say this is that neither of you have the
Poul-Henning> time needed, and whoever picks up may have ideas, even
Poul-Henning> necesarry ideas, which would grind your spine seriously.
Poul-Henning> By letting go, I think you would give vinum a better
Poul-Henning> chance.

In the p4 tree, we can easier add new talent to our developer
force and I am pretty sure that some sort of merry band of
developers would form around both RF and vinum there.

... now I thought I followed this list relatively well, but can someone point me at what 'p4' is?

Dave.

p4 = perforce source control. I'd seen the perforce depot somewhere on freebsd's sites, but didn't previous to this discussion understand it's purpose. Someone with more of a clue than I can fill in the blanks, but it seems that the perforce depot is essentially open-access, (unlike needing the commit bit set in FreeBSDs CVS tree), or at least easier to get commit privs assigned, allowing people that are not currently FreeBSD commiters to contribute changes back to the repository...at some point, presumably, to be rolled back into the main development branch of FreeBSD by integrating back into CVS....if a project at some point becomes 'release-worthy.'

More info on perforce is available at www.perforce.com . I saw someone mention in this thread not liking perforce, although I'm not sure why- I used to be pretty heavily involved in SCM/DTS, and perforce IMHO was/is one of the few SCMs that generally 'did the right thing' in a usually unobtrusive way.

Scott