You could use ipfw to limit the damage of a syn flood, e.g.
a keep-state rule with a limit of ~2-5 per source IP, lower the
timeouts, increase the hash buckets in ipfw, etc. This would
use a mask on src-ip of all bits.
something like:
allow tcp from any to any setup limit src-addr 2

this would only allow 2 concurrent TCP sessions per unique
source address. Depends on the syn flood you are expecting
to experience. You could also use dummynet to shape syn
traffic to a fixed level i suppose.

Does that really help? If so, we need to optimize the syncache. :(

I know that if I rate shape the setup traffic, it helps.

DJ