At 09:38 PM 29/02/2004, Don Bowman wrote:
From: Mike Tancsa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> At 08:44 PM 29/02/2004, Don Bowman wrote:
> >From: Mike Tancsa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:17:44 -0500, in
> sentex.lists.freebsd.hackers >

I picked 2500 as the best for my system. Its higher than
allowed by rfc1323 and PAWS [kern/61404], but not by so much
that i anticipate a problem.

Do you run the box with the supplied patch ? On the firewall device I was thinking of experimenting with, I do have long TCP sessions that it sounds like HZ=2500 would break.

For my target packets per second
rate, it means that i can use a reasonable number of dma
descriptors. I found that bridging performance in particular
needs the higher hz to avoid dropping packets, to improve
its performance.

In terms of fiddling with the em tunables, what are the drawbacks of moving from 256 to 512 on

EM_MAX_TXD
EM_MAX_RXD

more buffers == better ability to handle latency
bursts, but worse for cache occupancy.

Buffers as is net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen ?

Thanks,

---Mike