Gordon Bergling wrote:
Hi,

* Thus spake Eric Anderson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
I've made a patch to /etc/rc.subr that makes the startup/shutdown rc scripting look similar to other OS's (many different linux distros, HP-UX, etc), but without color.

The patch shouldn't break anything, and is only enabled if you have this in your /etc/rc.conf:

rc_fancy="YES"

Several of the /etc/rc.d/* scripts send output to stdout, so that could be cleaned up a bit if needed, but for now I tried to keep the patch as minimal as possible.

This is still a first pass, so please give feedback.

A short try on my notebook shows some errors.
I don't want to let this email getting too big, so I put the "dmesg -a"
output online. http://generic.0xfce3.net/dmesg-fancy.txt

BTW, the patch applied cleanly.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I made an erroneous assumption that the wc, expr, and printf tools found in /usr/bin and /bin would be available through boot, but that isn't the case on systems with those file systems separate from /. I'm not sure how to resolve some of these issues, since I don't know of a way to do those functions in csh without them. I'm open to suggestions here from anyone.

Eric