Eric Anderson wrote:

> If I could figure out how to make sh do colors, I'd do it. :)

Please do not use colors in rc. Escape-sequenced colors make unacceptable assumptions about the user and syslogd strips escape sequences anyway, so it would be of no use to logged consoles. Serial consoles introduce other problems with buggy escape handling in third-party terminal programs. A good text layout and descriptive status messages do far more for clarity and readability than any use of color ever can.