(oops... didn't group reply)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Feb 20, 2007 2:46 AM
Subject: Re: Abyssmal dump cache efficiency
To: Peter Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 2/17/07, Peter Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've tried modelling a unified cache along the NetBSD line and there
appears to be a massive improvement in cache performance.  It's unclear
how much of an improvement this will give in overall performance but
not physically reading data from disk must be faster than reading it.

I believe it would be worthwhile creating a todo item to investigate
this more thoroughly.

This squares perfectly with my recent observation that while runing some
combination of "dump | restore" that the dump disks incur 2 to 3 times more
I/O (reading) than the restore disks.  Now... for "performance" I was using
the cache function --- maybe the cache is actually a detriment.