On Wed, 16 May 2007, Rick C. Petty wrote:

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:08:03AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:

Sorry for all you Java lovers out there.. it's just that from where I'm
at I don't see anyone using it in the workplace (Intel). We're all using
C/C++/Perl, with occasional spots of Ruby/Python.

We use Java almost exclusively (Oracle), although scattered bits of Python
and occasional C/C++ thru JNI.

Not to start a flame war, but I much prefer Java and I know a lot of other
corporations are using it as well (just do a search for "software engineer"
on any job site, and count the Java hits vs. C++).

Also, Java outperforms Python/Ruby/Perl on all string manipulations from
our extensive tests.  However, my group likes the philosophies behind Ruby
and likes the rapid development of Python when we need a scripting
language.

Use the Right Tool for the problem; just because you like using a hammer
doesn't mean all screwdrivers are stupid.

-- Rick C. Petty

Ok, fair enough. But there's a lot of overhead involved with Java with their
completely OOP view on programming.

Also, although I know that many database solutions companies (in particular
Oracle and IBM), do like Java, it's not used in many other regions of the
market from what I've seen (Apple, Intel, M$, many other companies that have
openings in my school's resume databases). Most want C++, C#, and VB.NET
(ew)... and maybe Javascript with AJAX support.

Also, since I deleted the original message by accident, I wanted to note that I
found a BDB dump feature in MySQL's source, so I'm going to try and adapt that
to my SoC project just for research purposes to dump out the table fields and
see how Ruby messes with the data.

-Garrett

PS If you hated BDB and loved SQL, please note that some SQL engines use BDB
for a database backend instead of MyISAM, INNODB, etc.