On May 10, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

Yipes. The name of the game is to get something working in the base system, instead of dragging in multiple 3rd party packages, with licensing schemes that may not be aligned with the BSD license.

SQL's great, SQL's wonderful for db use, but the problem is that supporting it from my POV would cause a lot more grief and waiting than having me wait a few months to get a BDB compatible scheme out the door.

One of the issues here, however, is the fact that BDB is basically just a key/value database (and all the really robust versions from Sleepycat have licensing problems of their own). SQLite has an extremely liberal license and quite a bit of power besides (and Apple has contributed a considerable number of robustness-increasing fixes to it given that it's our embedded database of choice for quite a few applications). I wouldn't get too hung up on the database part of this in any case - packaging systems are difficult to create due to the fact that they're so broad, not because they're deep. There are a huge number of issues to resolve regarding upgrades, dependency tracking (which mutates somewhat in each of the install/delete/upgrade scenarios) and package creation and husbandry in general.

- Jordan