In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:
> Sorry for cross posting, but perhaps hackers is a better list than multimedia
> for this topic.

Probably.

> i am trying to port my old assembler soft for Dos to FreeBSD.

You have my sympathy.

> i need to write and read directly to the midi and scsi device.
> when i try something like this i receive a sigbus error
>
> SORRY, i am NOT nor a C nor a FreeBSD expert!!!
> all i know is Assembly language!

You may have to learn some. Or at least be able to read it.

And I have to ask. The hardware has changed a lot since the days of
DoS, and things that worked then may cause strange results on modern
hardware. Do you know modern hardware, or are you still using dos-era
hardware?

> i made some search in the devel handbook and did not found the solution.
> What is wrong here?
> Can you enlight me please?
>

> Many thanks in advance and bests regards
>
> Raoul
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ---cut---
>
>       .data
>       .align 4
> params:       .word 0x330,2,1 # midi port => enabling IO ???
>
>       .text
>       .align 4
>       .global _start
> _start:
>       nop
>       pushl   params
>       pushl   $0x3

I believe this should be $0x4, as you want to *set* the values, not
get them.

You also need to open the file "/dev/io".  I believe that leaving this
file open for anything more than a handful of instructions would be a
bad thing, but I'm not going to verify it.

        Best of luck,
        <mike

Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html