On Tue, 29 May 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,
I'm trying to install 7-CURRENT on my desktop, locally instead of on a virtual machine, and I'm running into an issue where the kernel almost always panics on boot with my motherboard (ASUS P5N-SLI E), due to some sort of interrupt assignment / probing issues.

Observations:
    1. 7-CURRENT (built) never properly detects the interrupts on the system.
2. 7-CURRENT (May ISO snapshot) doesn't properly detect my USB keyboard, but boots and runs sysinstall. 3. 6.2 RELEASE panics if I don't boot FreeBSD up into "safe mode", due to an issue with the ohci driver (I think the error message had something to deal with device adding / enumeration and not being able to find a memory / interrupt address).

First off, if I could get some of the command line arguments to pass to the kernel to emulate safe-mode, that would be much appreciated. Second off, if anybody has any ideas on how to debug this issue, I'll go off and try to determine what the cause is. If it's anything like it was before (clean out /usr/obj, rebuild), I'll be ok. Otherwise, I'll have to purchase more parts and build another dedicated FreeBSD system :(..

Thanks,
-Garrett

Sorry for cross-posting so much, but this information is relevant to all of the
mailing lists included.

Ok I "solved" my problem, to a certain extent.

Basically the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard (nVidia chipset) isn't bootable with FreeBSD 6.2
RELEASE without going into SAFE MODE (panics after ohci_add_done looking for a
non-existent memory address, if the USB controller is enabled in the BIOS with
"Legacy Mode", i.e. USB Keyboard compatible), and isn't compatible with FreeBSD
7 at all (kernel can't map IRQs properly on up-to-date CURRENT and panics in kernel mode
during boot).

Strangely enough the 7-CURRENT snapshot ISOs work, but then again it doesn't
setup the OHCI and USB keyboard stuff properly, and I can't get any sort of
input from my keyboard, obviously.

The ASUS P5B-DLX motherboard (Intel chipset) is compatible with FreeBSD 6.2 and
7 though, without any hacks.

Maybe someone should update some documentation on the release notes page for
supported hardware?

Thanks,
-Garrett

PS Please CC me in any communication as I'm not subscribed to doc@, stable@, or