Eygene Ryabinkin a scris:
Cristian, good day.

Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:26:41PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I just ran into the same problem. In xorg.conf I explicitly told the
synaptics driver to use "psm" and "/dev/psm0", but the error message
would
suggest that it uses "event".

Also, I tried to change the source code of the synaptics driver
(synaptics.c) and hard-coded "psm" as the only driver, no matter what
xorg.conf says. Synaptics still would not start, but this time
complaining
that no device was specified. Please note that I had "Device" in my
xorg.conf, but the error suggests that the driver ignored it.
Suppose I use the attached xorg.conf file, at some point,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following error:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
Synaptics_Touchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 10 nodes)
Synaptics_Touchpad The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics_Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

As you said, it looks like synaptics is trying to use the "auto" protocol,
although the configuration file tells it to use "psm".

Now, if I put the attached patch in x11-drivers/synaptics/files, using the
same xorg.conf, synaptics will fail like this:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics_Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

It almost looks as if I have to hardcode the device too, because synaptics
certainly ignores my options.

This is a sort of 'ping' mail, sorry.  To the point: I had reproduced
the problem and will start looking into it once this message will
fly from my mailserver.  Stay tuned ;))

Thank you very much for 'pinging'. :) As the driver synaptics driver din not change for month, I speculate there might have been a change in the Xorg API, especially related to sucking configuration options.

Is there any way I could help?