Instead of all the debate about GNU compatibility and the fact that the patch adds a feature not readily available, why not improve FreeBSD's find without caring about GNU's find? I have not seen a way to capture output from a command and compare it to another command. Imagine something conceptually like `find . -type l -execout readlink '{}' \; -eq "foobar.txt" -print`? Then it's possible to achieve the same possibility as -lname, and far far more. You could search for all files with "foobar" in the last ten lines of the file even. The closest "viable" option to this that I know of is find2perl, and then custom editing.

Not to mention, I imagine you'd soon see GNU find struggling for FreeBSD find compatibility.