Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

16.03.08, 09:30, "David O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Add virtual kernel (vkernel) support to FreeBSD for the i386 and amd64 architectures.

The vkernel support in question is the one found in DragonFlyBSD.
Not being up on DragonFlyBSD, can you better describe what "vkernel" is?

vkernel is similar to User Mode Linux technology. You can boot vkernel as a
user mode process. I think it will be good to have similar in FreeBSD.
There are several links:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2007-01/msg00237.html
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/articles/vkernel/vkernel.shtml

The two links that Andrey posted are very good. I just want to add a short summary: A vkernel is a kernel running as a user process under a real kernel. The vkernel runs in the CPU's priviledge ring 3. It services its child processes like a normal kernel, but whenever a page table needs to be modified, context switched, or some other privileged operation needs to be executed, the vkernel asks the real kernel through a syscall interface.