Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Rink Springer wrote:

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 05:53:45PM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
Freddie Cash wrote:

The tricky part will be getting the disk slicing, slice partitioning,
and filesystem formatting to work reliably, with all the power of
FreeBSD's GEOM modules, and ZFS.

Actually, this is probably the easiest part (at least for UFS). The
libdisk(3) library abstracts most of it out of the installer.

...except that libdisk(3) was supposed to be a temporary hack. I'd really
suggest that something cleaner is to be written; libdisk(3) really is
not the way to go. Have a look at the code and see for yourself.

Yes, libdisk is bad. GEOM_PART has been designed
for use by installers. It can be interfaced
faily easily. See gpart(8) for example.

Is there documentation for the geom_part API somewhere (I couldn't find any)
or do I have to look at gpart(8) to figure out how to use it? Is it ok to
just use gpart(8) instead of using the geom_part API?

Cheers.

--
Mike Makonnen       | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm @ FreeBSD.Org   | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55