M. Warner Losh wrote:

[...]
(about return ();)

It has been an example used for the past 15 years at least as to why
to do this...  I don't know how many people have actually used the
ability to do this in code.

I have done so..

: Also I consider this as gross abuse: Macro names shall be in all : uppercase, so it is clear that there is a macro at work. Therefore : "return" is not a candidate. So this would violate yet another rule in : style(9) (the original return already violates the no-redundant : parentheses rule). : Also I would not mention __func__: there were objections against using : it in the past (though I, logically, prefer its use).

It is a debugging aid, but one of dubious value for a far more
fundamental reason:

            return;

will break any macro.

Warner