Jeremy Chadwick napsal(a):
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:41:01PM +0100, Jan Sebosik wrote:
Andrew Snow napsal(a):
Hi

I have a P45 chipset but haven't noticed those problems. I use AHCI mode because it enabled hotswap SATA.

But do you also get error messages on the console about timecount going backwards for some processes? I can't make it go away, even if I force HPET as a counter

- Andrew
Hi

obviously no, I don`t get any messages about time going backwards.

I`ve also tryied AHCI mode, but after some mailing with Intel technical support they claimed to downgrade to native SATA mode (non-AHCI operation).

Andrew:

"Time going backwards" is known to happen on certain systems which use
features like Intel SpeedStep.  I can reproduce the problem on all sorts
of server hardware.  It's documented in my Wiki under "Kernel":

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

Power-save modes such as C1E might also cause it, but I've enabled this
on systems without any repercussions.  Just EIST appears to behave
oddly, on RELENG_7.  (I've tried EIST on CURRENT, and it seems to behave
better.  I remember reading about major improvements jhb@ completed
there which might explain CURRENT working)

Jan:

(Quoting you from your misplaced mail to -stable)

I thought also about bios bug... it`s pretty new piece of HW with modern
chipset (Q45). I believe that the next release of BIOS comes soon.

The chipset has nothing to do with it.  I can show you two identical
systems, chipset-wise, and show you BIOS bugs.  The system manufacturer
is who maintains the BIOS, not the chipset manufacturer.

Thanks for explanation.

But what about those atapicd problems? Is it related to SATA interface
of DVD/CD drive? Maybe also the LG drive has buggy FW :).

Now I'm confused.  Didn't we just determine that your acd0 problems
disappear if you disable HPET in the BIOS (which makes no sense, but it
works, and is probably a BIOS bug)?  If so, then what's that got to do
with SATA interfaces or LG optical drives?  Please help me understand.

No, atapicd problems are still there regardless of HPET setting. But with HPET enabled, when I kldload atapicd and then try to mount it with command "mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt/cd0", I get neverending "READ_BIG FAILURE" timeouts.

--
Jan Sebosik, Slovakia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]