Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
Vadim Goncharov wrote:

Is multicast and multipath routing the same?

No. They are currently orthogonal.

However it makes sense to merge the multicast and unicast forwarding code as currently MROUTING is limited to a fan-out of 32 next-hops only. In multicast, next-hops are normally just interfaces.

Also the IETF MANET ad-hoc IP is going to need hooks there; multicast in MANET needs to address its next-hops by their unicast address, and encapsulate the traffic with a header. This is not true link layer multicast -- although it might use link layer multicast to leverage the hash filters in 802.11 MACs.

As regards getting ARP out of forwarding tables, this should have happened a long time ago...

I'm not 100 % convinced of this...
I was, but I think there may still be a place for a cached arp pointer
in hte next hop route to the arp entry for that next hop.
I DO however thing that the arp stuff should nto be accessing its
data via the routing table.

BMS