Paul wrote:
The higher I set the buffer the worse it is.. 256 and 512 I get about 50-60k more pps than i do with 2048 or 4096.. You would think it would be the other way around but obviously there is some contention going on. :/
Looks like in bridge mode hw.em.rxd=512 and hw.em.txd=512 yields best results also. reducing or increasing those leads to worse performance. btw is there any news with hwpmc for new CPUs ? last time I checked was real pain to get it working with core2 CPUs :(
I'm sticking with 512 for now, as it seems to make it worse with anything higher. Keep in mind, i'm using random source ips, random source and destination ports.. Although that should have zero impact on the amount of PPS it can route but for some reason it seems to.. ? Any ideas on that one? A single stream one source ip/port to one destination ip/port seems to use less cpu, although I haven't generated the same pps with that yet.. I am going to test it soon

Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
Dear Paul,

I tried this.. I put 6-STABLE (6.3), using default driver was slower than FBSD7

have you set the rx/tx buffers?

/boot/loader.conf
hw.em.rxd=4096
hw.em.txd=4096