Dear Paul,

SMP DISABLED on my Opteron 2212  (ULE, Preemption on)
Yields ~750kpps in em0 and out em1  (one direction)
I am miffed why this yields more pps than
a) with all 4 cpus running and b) 4 cpus with lagg load balanced over 3 incoming connections so 3 taskq threads

because less locking, less synchronisation, ....

I would be willing to set up test equipment (several servers plugged into a switch) with ipkvm and power port access if someone or a group of people want to figure out ways to improve the routing process, ipfw, and lagg.

Maximum PPS with one ipfw rule on UP:
tops out about 570Kpps.. almost 200kpps lower ? (frown)

can you post the rule here?

I'm going to drop in a 3ghz opteron instead of the 2ghz 2212 that's in here and see how that scales, using UP same kernel etc I have now.

really, please try 32bit and 1 cpu.

Kind regards,
        Ingo Flaschberger