I'm no expert, but I imagine the problem is because the net processing of FreeBSD is not pipelined enough. We are now able to affordably throw many gigabytes of RAM into a machine, as well 2 to 8 CPUs. So why not allow for big buffers and multiple processing steps?

I be happy to give up a bit of latency in order to increase the parallel processing ability of packets travelling through the system. I could be wrong but I imagine it would be better to treat the processing of pockets as a series of stages with queues (that can grow quite large if necessary).