On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Andre Oppermann wrote:

Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
I don't think you will be able to route 64byte packets at 1gbit wirespeed (2Mpps) with a current x86 platform.

You have to take inter-frame gap and other overheads too.  That gives
about 1.244Mpps max on a 1GigE interface.

What are the other overheads?  I calculate 1.644Mpps counting the inter-frame
gap, with 64-byte packets and 64-header_size payloads.  If the 64 bytes
is for the payload, then the max is much lower.

I hoped to reach 1Mpps with the hardware I mentioned some mails before, but 2Mpps is far far away.
Currently I get 160kpps via pci-32mbit-33mhz-1,2ghz mobile pentium.

This is more or less expected.  PCI32 is not able to sustain high
packet rates.  The bus setup times kill the speed.  For larger packets
the ratio gets much better and some reasonable throughput can be achieved.

I get about 640 kpps without forwarding (sendto: slightly faster;
recvfrom: slightly slower) on a 2.2GHz A64.  Underclocking the memory
from 200MHz to 100MHz only reduces the speed by about 10%, while not
overclocking the CPU by 10% reduces the speed by the same 10%, so the
system is apparently still mainly CPU-bound.

NetFPGA doesn't have enough TCAM space to be useful for real routing
(as in Internet sized routing table).  The trick many embedded networking
CPUs use is cache prefetching that is integrated with the network
controller.  The first 64-128bytes of every packet are transferred
automatically into the L2 cache by the hardware.  This allows relatively
slow CPUs (700 MHz Broadcom BCM1250 in Cisco NPE-G1 or 1.67-GHz Freescale
7448 in NPE-G2) to get more than 1Mpps.  Until something like this is
possible on Intel or AMD x86 CPUs we have a ceiling limited by RAM speed.

Does using fa$ter memory (speed and/or latency) help here?  64 bytes
is so small that latency may be more of a problem, especially without
a prefetch.

Bruce