Tom Judge wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
The next test is to diable the LOM's management firmware
but boot to
an active network.

After disabling the management firmware and doing 1 cold reboot and 3
warms all worked correctly.

After re enabling the firmware and doing 1 cold reboot and 3 warms, the
cold works correctly and the warms all failed.

Tom
Finally, the routine bce_print_adapter_info() in HEAD
prints out both
the bootcode and management firmware versions. If you can
get those
same changes into your release I'd like to see the versions
reported
on your system.

Here is the info from a boot of 8.0 RC2.

ASIC: 0x57092003
B/C: 5.0.6
Rev: C0
Bus: PCIe x4, 2.5Gb/s
Flags: MSI|MFW
MFW: NCS 2.0.3

And looking at this it seems dells update CD was not up to date
enough and I only got 5.0.6 firmware not 5.0.9.

The package version and the bootcode version are similar but
they are not the same. The bootcode you have (v5.0.6) is
sufficient to fix the problem.

Ok just checked in the life cycle manager and it has 5.0.9 installed
my bad.

Running the other test now.

Hi,
we have two new Dell R610 machines with four bce NICs (only bce0 is connected at this time). I tried cold (power cycle in iDRAC) and warm reboot (shutdown -r now), NIC is working on every reboot, but I am still seeing messages:

bce0: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(1525): PHY write timeout!
bce0: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(1525): PHY write timeout!
bce0: link state changed to UP

This is on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4 amd64

I also see "PHY write timeout" on shutdown time for each NIC.

Other than the log messages, I see no problems with bce NIC, but I have not tested it with any high load.

I did not upgraded FW or anything else.

What can I do to help with solving this issue?

Miroslav Lachman