Robert Watson wrote:

The next thing that would be quite nice to measure is the rate of I/O transactions per second we can get to the disk using the disk device directly, with a minimal transaction size. I have a vague recollection that you have to be careful in Linux because their character device nodes for disk devices are buffered, and you really want unbuffered I/O.

I noticed that changing vfs.read_max from the default 8 to 16 has a dramatic effect on sequential read performance. Increasing it further did not have measurable effect.

Pete