On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

        This was first posted on freebsd-question, but I could not find
the solution yet.
        Maybe you could help me.

Maybe a little.  I don't use 5.4...

        I?ve installed FreeBSD 5.4 on a new machine with the following
hardware:

        Asus P4P800 SE  (BIOS v. 1008)
        2GB RAM ( 4x 512 DDR400 )
        2 HDD Samsung SP0802N (80GB 7200rpm ata-100) 80 pins cable.

        The HD were formated with newfs defaults, and the following
results were the same using both as master (primary e secondary) or with a
master / slave (same interface).

        With diskinfo both performance are the same, but with "dd", the
second disc (the slave or the secondary master), is always worst as if it
were working in DMA2.

I remember a commit to the ata driver to fix misprogramming of DMA timing on an Intel chipset for devices and/or channels other than the first. I'm
not sure if 5.4 has the bug or the fix.

diskinfo only tests reading, and you only showed a dd test using writing
(to a file), so the problem is apparently only that writing to the second
drive is slow.

        what should be the right results?

Swap the devices to see if it is a drive problem (unlikely with the
same model of drive but...  I have one system that apparently has
worse timing on the secondary channel.  This showed up as writes
causing subsequent reads to be slow -- apparently the writes caused
some errors and error correction as perfect except for slowing things
down).

Bruce