On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:49:04AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
On Oct 13, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:
Or did that change recently?

It's only on certain systems, apparently.

Is there a list of systems where it is safe to use the TSC with
SMP?  Or some script we can run?

The problem of the TSC clocks getting out of sync affects pretty much
all AMD X2 dual-core CPUs, as well as the older 32-bit Althon MP
CPUs; the Intel Xeon and Core Duo CPUs seem to do a lot better,
although older Intel CPUs have also been reported to show problems
with the TSC.

Beyond that, just see if it works ;-)

How "safe" is it to switch timecounters? I don't have a spare machine to test on...

From my readings on switching the TSC over the past several months I think that if it doesn't work I'll see is ntpd adjusting my system clock more often (or falling out of sync). I don't know if this will corrupt mysql while its running though (which is my fear).

FWIW I have a "Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270".

--
Eric Hodel - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://blog.segment7.net

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com