On Jan 12, 2007, at 8:07 AM, R. B. Riddick wrote:
As the "OP" (what is that exactly? again an animal?) mentioned: Apache performs
worse than scp.

Quick testing suggests that an Apache child process accumulates a similar amount of CPU time transferring large files as scp when using an SSL connection; if you access Apache via HTTP rather than HTTPS, it uses much less CPU than scp does.

My memory tells me similar things... Remember: Apache is
optimized for LINUX not necessarily for FreeBSD...

Apache's been optimized to run quite well on a lot of platforms, although it is somewhat heavy-weight compared with a webserver oriented towards serving static files only.

--
-Chuck