Bill Moran wrote:

Hi there,

We just purchased a Dell 860 with these specifics:
   - dual core pentium 915, 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB
   - 2x512 MB 533 MHz DDR2 RAM
   - Dell's SAS/SATA drive controller(which is actually an LSILogic)
   - their 5IR PCI-Express internal RAID controller
   - a pair of 250 GB SATA II's set up RAID 1

After installing 6.2-RELEASE on the system I noticed, while pulling the ports
collection off the CDROM, that the speed to the drives started out just fine
but long before the ports collection was installed the transfer rate was down
to ~35kB/s.  Huh.  So I started paying closer attention.  I installed a couple
of ports and every time there was anything but miniscule data being
transferred to/from disk the transfer rate bottomed out.  I installed the
blogbench port and it confirmed the I/O as tremendously sluggish.  I've
attached the output of the blogbench runs.  The first is from an old 700 MHz
pc, Acer M25C mobo, with 1 IDE drive just for comparison.  The second data set
is the new Dell.  I've also attached the output of dmesg.  Everything looks
fine except for the mpt lines.  Would those be telling of something amiss or
are they innocuous barks?

I understand that RAID 1 is not the fastest but I certainly expected it to be
faster than it is, esp. with hw RAID.  Are my expectations too high and this
is normal?

My personal server is a Dell 860 configured very similarly to yours,
with the difference that it has a single 160G SATA drive (no RAID).
It's also running 6.2.
<SNIP>

Certainly looks like that RAID card sucks.  Unfortunately, I don't know
what those mpt0 alerts are about.

I think that the alerts are related an internal array resync (quote from a message to stable@ by Matthew Jacob the mpt driver author):

<QUOTE>
> A perhaps unrealted issue:
> I've noticed a large number of messages being produced by the mpt driver
> after boot occuring approximately every 90 seconds.
>
> Apr  1 15:51:43 moses kernel: mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x14
> Apr  1 15:51:43 moses kernel: mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event
> 0x14 (ACK not required).
> Apr  1 15:53:19 moses kernel: mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x14
> Apr  1 15:53:19 moses kernel: mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event
> 0x14 (ACK not required).
>
> Any thoughts anyone? Is there any way to find out what the events
> correspond to?

MPI spec, instantiated in MPILIB

MPI_EVENT_IR_RESYNC_UPDATE

internal raid resync update?