It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that ext3 is better albeit
bursty for writes. That's the Linux aggressive write-behind and
ext2/ext3 for you in a nutshell. It's also quite likely true that in
many cases that reads and I/O scheduling is a lot better in Linux.

If you have time to run some benchmarks, using something like dt on a
FreeBSD raw partition with lots of small sequential writes and using
the (now deprecated) 'raw' bound devices in fc5 might get more of an
apple-apple.