Hi,

We are looking at getting a server for running postgresql. Only postgresql, a dedicated machine. Since we know FreeBSD very well, we plan on using it as the OS.

We have an offer for an IBM server, x3650, with 2 * DC Intel Xeon 5160, Raid with two clusters, one for database and one for xlog. Loads and loads of RAM.

Now, I hear rumors that AMD is to be preferred over Intel for performance reasons. Any comments on that? Are we better off getting AMD processors, when running Unix?

Regards,
Palle