--On torsdag, torsdag 13 sep 2007 19.44.50 -0400 Francisco Reyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Palle Girgensohn writes:

Presently ~pgsql/data has a 16 GB footprint.

If you can put 4GB or better in your machine you should do well.
Specially since you mentioned you are mostly read with relatively small
amount of writes.

The growth is rather slow,  around a percent per week

Sorry, my mistake, more like a percent per day  at the moment...

We are planning about 16 GB RAM, actually. Maybe it is overkill?

What controller are you getting?
We have a 3ware SATA controller with RAID6 and it performs pretty well.
Based on what you wrote SATA RAID should be enough for your load and
usage pattern.

Obviously if you can afford SCSI/SAS performance will likely be even
better. However make sure you can get management program for the
controller. At the very least some type of notification if the raid is
degraded.

We will probably go for SCSI. HP DL380 with "HP SmartArray", aka ciss.