2008/11/25 Adrian Chadd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> 2008/11/25 Ivan Voras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>> I believe most of the synthetic numbers (mp3 encoding etc.) difference
>>> comes from the different version of gcc the different OS uses...
>>
>> You're very likely right. Ubuntu 8.10 has gcc 4.3.x - it could make for
>> the small difference in gzip and 7z compression performance.
>
> Well, that should be a reasonably easy thing to test and feed back to
> the author.

OTOH if the goal is to measure "operating system" performance, this
must also include the compiler, libraries and all. (for example, what
does Solaris default to nowadays? I think it ships with gcc but not as
default). The hold on gcc 4.3 in FreeBSD is, after all, political
(licencing).

If FreeBSD base ever switches to LLVM+clang, this means libc will be
compiled with a non-gcc compiler which will forever change the
performance for simple "real world" benchmarks.