On Sep 8, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
Craig Boston wrote:
Though I still think "leaf ports" and "root ports" should be listed together.

I have gone back and forth on that a few times myself. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Whether a port is a leaf port or not does not seem especially important to me.

Whether a port has been installed explicitly by the user or whether it has been installed as a build-time or runtime dependencies is important, especially as time passes and the dependencies change.

I will always want to have all of the ports I've explicitly installed present & updated, and I will always want the runtime dependencies for those ports installed & updated as needed, but I'd be happier to have outdated dependencies that aren't needed anymore be deleted rather than updated.

PS, in case I haven't said it before, many thanks to Doug for writing portmaster!

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm not using portmaster yet, as portupgrade has worked OK for me thus far, but I would second Craig's opinion, and I would suspect that I'm going to try switching over soon.

--
-Chuck