On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:56 AM, David Southwell wrote:

I am trying to setup mailman and am using apache22 with a number of virtual servers. All the virtual server roots are located on a seperate physical
drives with the path to the root
being /usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/

After installed from /usr/ports/mail/mailman I find I have the mailman files
in /usr/local/mailman.

I am puzzled about what files are meant to be placed in the path of the server root..(presumably my_virtual_server_name/mailman). I have looked at docs but if there is info on this I have failed to find it. Should I have compiled with prefix=/usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/ or should this be in
some config file?

The short answer is apache's Alias and ScriptAlias directives.

Here's a bit of mine

 ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
 Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
 Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"

Take a look at

 /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/FreeBSD-post-install-notes

That tell you the kind of thing that you need to do to configure apache to find these things. It will also point you to other mailman installation material in that directory.

Below is a larger excerpt from my /usr/local/etc/apache22/extras/ httpd-vhosts.conf

## lists.shepard-families.org
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/apache22/data/lists.shepard-families.org/
ServerName lists.shepard-families.org
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AddDefaultCharset utf-8
ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists.shepard-families.org-access_log combined
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/>
  AllowOverride None
  Options +ExecCGI -Includes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/icons>
  order allow,deny
  allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives/>
  Options +FollowSymLinks
  order allow,deny
  allow from all
</Directory>

Ideally, it would be nice if the port deposited a sample configuration file in /usr/local/etc/apache-VERSION/Includes

But I don't know how to do that with all of the different apache ports (which, I believe, differ in how they organize the configuration files).

Good luck with this. As you can see I'm running mailman and apache22 (and postfix) from ports and am very happy with it.

-j