Novembre wrote:
On 10/7/07, Mel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sunday 07 October 2007 10:00:35 Novembre wrote:

On 10/7/07, Doug Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Novembre wrote:
The first error above is because the fuse kernel module is not yet
loaded.

Well isn't it sort of pointless to proceed until you get the kernel
module loaded at boot time and then see what happens next?
Oh, the kernel module IS loaded as shown in 'dmesg -a' and in
/var/log/messages. However, it can't be loaded unless / and /usr file
systems are mounted.
Filesystems that need modules from anywhere else then the root partition
cannot be loaded from /etc/fstab.
Either make fusefs-kmod install in /boot/modules
(echo 'KMOD_DIR=/boot/modules'
/usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod/Makefile.local) or mount the filesystem
using an rc(8) script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.
In the end you do not really care whether it's mounted 20 seconds or 1
second
before login prompt is available.

--
Mel

Well, I gave up using /etc/fstab to mount NTFS partitions at boot time a
couple of months ago when I realized that it's not the correct way to do it
(so I also wrote an rc.d script to do the job, but I'll talk about it
later). However, I recently looked at fusefs-ntfs source files, and as you
can see from
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs/Makefile in
revision 1.19, there are changes (installing a symlink) to allow using
/etc/fstab to mount NTFS partitions at boot. So I thought that maybe now
it's okay to use /etc/fstab. Anyway, if it's still not possible to use
/etc/fstab, then what does that sentence mean in the revision 1.19 of
fusefs-ntfs Makefile (again, see the URL above)?

Another question is why, even after loading the kernel module (see the
'dmesg -a' output below), it is not possible to mount the NTFS partition?
----------
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ dmesg -a
Starting fusefs.
fuse4bsd: version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.8
Mounting late file systems:
fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
----------

This output from /var/log/messages is also interesting, showing that ntfs-3g
has indeed been run and that it has mounted my Windows partition (but I
don't see it mounted)!
----------
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ cat /var/log/messages
Oct  6 14:22:40 pasargadae kernel: Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
Oct  6 14:22:45 pasargadae kernel: fuse4bsd: version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI
7.8
Oct  6 14:22:45 pasargadae ntfs-3g[811]: Version 1.913
Oct  6 14:22:45 pasargadae ntfs-3g[811]: Mounted /dev/ad0s1 (Read-Write,
label "", NTFS 3.0)
Oct  6 14:22:45 pasargadae ntfs-3g[811]: Cmdline options: (null)
Oct  6 14:22:45 pasargadae ntfs-3g[811]: Mount options:
noatime,silent,allow_other ,fsname=/dev/ad0s1
----------

And I didn't know about the /boot/modules way. Could you please ellaborate
more? Is it a different way to load kernel modules than using
/boot/loader.conf? When should one use that?

And now, about coming back to using an rc.d script...After failing to use
/etc/fstab, I wrote this script to mount the partition at boot time.
However, this also does not work!
----------
#!/bin/sh
#
# PROVIDE: ntfsmount
# REQUIRE: fusefs
#

. /etc/rc.subr

name="ntfsmount"
rcvar=${name}_enable
command="/usr/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g"
command_args="/dev/ad0s1 /mnt/windows -o locale=en_US.UTF-8"

load_rc_config $name

: ${ntfsmount_enable="NO"}

run_rc_command "$1"

Wow thats a lot of work.....

one liner in /etc/rc.local
/usr/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /mnt/windows -o locale=en_US.UTF-8 &

Job Done :p