On Dec 3, 2007, at 1:39 AM, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

I am purposelly not looking at any previous solutions right now... If
and when it is determined that changes to the current system are
needed I will look at them then for ideas of what has not worked.
(like the Internet or other large complex systems we don't know "how"
to make it we only know what doesn't work)

Take a look at MacPorts and see how they install + activate software and run away as fast as you can. It makes life very hard for upgrades, etc.